- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: cabbage
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 500g red cabbage
- 3 echalion shallots
- 2 Pink Lady apples
- Knob of salted butter
- 2 clementines
- 10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 4tbsp Streamline black cherry jam
- Salt and black pepper
Finely slice the cabbage, shallots and apples. In a large casserole, heat the butter then tip in the sliced cabbage, shallots and apples and toss well. Add the zest and juice of one clementine, stud the other clementine with cloves and add it to the pan along with the cinnamon, mixed spice, vinegar and black cherry jam. Season, stir and put the lid on.
Cook on a low heat for an hour until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets a little dry, add a dash of water. Serve hot or cold.
Note: Great with ham, cold meats and cheese as well as alongside a traditional roast.
- Hampshire Instagrams of the week
- 8 of the best afternoon teas in Hampshire
- 20 amazing Hampshire wedding venues
- Hampshire Life February 2018 – Out in shops and to buy online
- The Secrets of Staying Young with Rosemary Conley
- How well do you know Hampshire? Try our quiz!
- Hampshire walk around Rockford and Ibsley
- What’s on in Basingstoke during 2018
- Lady Carnarvon on Downton Abbey, life at Highclere Castle and her blog
- Eating out in Hampshire - Best restaurants