Stir-fried clams with purple sprouting broccoli - recipe
PUBLISHED: 10:34 25 February 2016 | UPDATED: 10:34 25 February 2016
Cook up a seasonal celebration with these stir-fried clams with purple sprouting broccoli
Ingredients (serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a main course with rice)
• 2 tbsp flavourless oil
• 3 cm piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 mild red chilli, thinly sliced
• 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
• 1 tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 tbsp black bean paste)
• 1kg live clams, scrubbed and any open or broken shells discarded
• 200g purple sprouting broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 3 tbsp shaoxing rice wine
• ½ tbsp honey
• 1 tsp soy sauce
• 2 tsp potato flour or cornflour
• 2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 Heat the oil in a large wok and stir-fry the ginger, garlic and chilli for 30 seconds. Add the spring onions and black beans and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
2 Add the clams and broccoli to the wok and stir well, then pour the rice wine around the outside and put on the lid.
3 Let the mixture steam until the clams start to open, giving it the occasional shake (this will take around 3 - 4 minutes), then give it all a good stir.
4 Stir the honey, soy and flour into 2 tbsp of cold water until smooth, then add it to the wok and cook for 1 minute or until bubbling and thickened.
5 Scatter over the coriander and serve up immediately.
Find it in Hampshire
• Clams - Kerri’s Catch - fishmarketportsmouth.co.uk
• Purple sprouting broccoli - Secretts Farm - secretts.co.uk
• Honey - Piper’s Honey - pipershoney.com
• Cuttlefish and chorizo stew - recipe - Enjoy a taste of the Mediterranean with this cuttlefish and chorizo stew
• Leaving life in France to take on a Broughton farm - Choosing to leave their life in France to take on the family farm was a huge leap of faith for Dagan and Jess James, but thanks to some forward thinking and a large herd of buffalo, the couple are thriving says Nancy Judge