Things to do in Hampshire this May
PUBLISHED: 11:07 01 May 2018 | UPDATED: 11:08 01 May 2018
Jason Brown Photography
We round up some of the best events and things to do across Hampshire this month
Discover weekly events and photography in the links above
Following critically acclaimed London and international festival runs, Lyric Hammersmith and Filter Theatre’s rebellious reinterpretation of one of Shakespeare’s best loved plays, A Midsummer Night’s Dream is coming to Southampton. Don’t miss this exciting and inventive production of Shakespeare’s most popular comedy!
• When: May 1 – 8
• Where: Nuffield Southampton Theatres, NST Campus, University Road, Southampton, SO17 1TR; www.nstheatres.co.uk
Inspired by the incredible role of electricity in the human body, Charge is the thrilling new show from renowned company Motionhouse. Six performers employ acrobatics, dance, film and music to delve deep into the human body, tracing the story of energy in our lives.
• When: May 9
• Where: New Theatre Royal, 20-24 Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth, PO1 2DD; www.newtheatreroyal.com
Don’t miss your chance to marvel at the sweeping arch of bright red ceramic poppy heads suspended on towering stalks at Fort Nelson. The iconic sculpture Poppies: Wave is part of 14-18 NOW, the UK’s arts programme for the First World War centenary.
• When: Until June 24
• Where: Royal Armouries Fort Nelson, Portsdown Hill Road, Portchester, PO17 6AN, royalarmouries.org/visit-us/fort-nelson
Taking to the stage with just a grand piano for company, cult hero Ben Folds draws on his varied and vast body of work, playing both classic and current tracks. Expect to hear Ben Folds’ Five Favourites followed by stripped back renditions of his more classical-leaning repertoire. With support from self-taught musician, poet and composer Matt Holubowski.
• When: May 22
• Where: The Anvil, Churchill Way, Basingstoke, RG21 7QR, anvilarts.org.uk
Top Trumps Challenge
This half term head to Marwell Zoo and take the Top Trumps Challenge! Upon arrival guests will receive a free Top Trumps card and fun trail ready for the Challenge. Simply venture around the park in search of the giant cards representing the various animal species who reside at Marwell, to compare your scores against. Don’t forget to pop into the gift shop at the end of your visit and pick up a pack of the Awesome Animals Top Trumps to take home
• When: May 26 – June 3
• Where: Marwell Zoo, Thompsons Lane, Winchester, SO21 1JH, marwell.org.uk
Following their sell-out UK tour, the Scummy Mummies are back with a brand new comedy show. Based on the hit Scummy Mummies podcast and best-selling book, expect new songs, new sketches, new catsuits and even some new jokes! Join Ellie and Helen as they celebrate the scummier side of parenting, from drinking wine at teatime to hiding from the PTA. Guaranteed to be a hilarious night out for Mums or Dads. Don’t forget your copy of the book - there will be a post-show book signing!
• When: May 10
• Where: Theatre Royal Winchester, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8SB, theatreroyalwinchester.co.uk
The Luxury of Motoring
Explore the golden age of luxury motoring in a brand new permanent display at the Beaulieu National Motor Museum. Witness the glittering centrepiece, a stunning collection of 28 Lalique glass car mascots on show together for the first time, marvel at a selection of the most luxurious cars ever built and admire the costumes and accessories which accompanied the cars.
• Where: National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, SO42 7ZN, 01590 612345, beaulieu.co.uk
Thanks to a £3 million Heritage lottery fund, the Gilbert White & The Oates Collections Museum has undergone significant refurbishment. Join in with the festivities and enjoy a free family open day!
• When: May 12
• Where: Gilbert White & The Oates Collections, Gilbert White’s House, The Wakes, Selborne, Alton, GU34 3JH; gilbertwhiteshouse.org.uk
Under the expert guidance of Hampshire florists Orchard Flowers, learn how to create a beautiful natural flowing arch, of your own design, with seasonal flowers and foliage at Chawton House this month.
• When: May 18
• Where: Chawton House, Chawton, Alton, GU34 1SJ; chawtonhouse.org
Day in the Countryside
The beautiful 450-acre campus of Sparsholt College will be open for its biggest and best Countryside Day yet, filled with have-a-go activities, live music and lots of foodie treats from Hampshire Fare.
• When: May 12
• Where: Sparsholt College, Westley Lane, Sparsholt, SO21 2NF; www.sparsholt.ac.uk