10 events and things to do in Hampshire - October 2016
PUBLISHED: 11:18 30 September 2016 | UPDATED: 11:22 30 September 2016
Beaulieu Enterprises Ltd
Charlotte Tomlinson-White has scoured the county to bring you the top events taking place this month
Head to Beaulieu for one of the largest firework displays in the south! Choreographed to music with a movie theme, it’s set to be a night to remember. Enjoy a range of entertainment for the whole family, including an old time fairground with a big wheel, gallopers and a coconut shy as well as live entertainment. Don’t forget to dress up – there’s a prize for best outfit to be won!
• When: 29 October, 3pm
• Where: Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, SO42 7ZN, 01590 612345, www.beaulieu.co.uk
The Vyne grows over 50 varieties of traditional English apple in its walled garden and orchard, many of which originate from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight including the Catshead, Frogmore Prolific and First and Last.
• When: Find out more about all things apple-y, from talks in the orchard with cream teas (3, 5, 10, 12, 17 & 19 October), to apple pressing demonstrations (7, 14 & 21 October) and tasting days (2, 9 & 16 October).
• Where: The Vyne, Sherborne St John, RG24 9HL, 01256 883858, www.nationaltrust.org.uk/vyne
Boo at the Zoo
A Halloween treat for all ages! Join the spooky sisters for some creepy storytelling, venture on the pumpkin trail and learn how to fly at Marwell’s broom flying lessons. Plus, watch the animals tuck into their pumpkin Halloween enrichment. Don’t forget to enter the pumpkin carving competition for a chance to win a terrific tiger adoption and keep your eyes peeled for Dracula skulking around the park! With a free cookie for everyone in Halloween costume.
• When: October 22 - 30
• Where: Marwell Zoo, Thompsons Lane, Winchester, SO21 1JH, 01962 777407, www.marwell.org.uk
Known for his legendary stand-up performances, award winning comedian and actor Omid Djalili, is back on a nationwide tour and he’s heading to Aldershot!
• When: October 28, 8pm
• Where: Princes Hall, Princes Way, Aldershot, GU11 1NX, 01252 329155 www.princeshall.com
Sci-fi writer HG Wells spent much of his childhood at Uppark, stargazing through his telescope. To celebrate the 150th anniversary of his birth, spend an evening searching the skies.
• When: October 8, 6.15 – 9.30pm
• Where: Uppark House and Garden, South Harting, Petersfield, GU31 5QR, 01730 825415; www.nationaltrust.org.uk/uppark-house-and-garden
Based on Stephen King’s 1982 novella Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption, this thrilling stage production examines desperation, injustice, friendship and hope.
• When: October 17 – 22
• Where: Mayflower Theatre, Commercial Road, Southampton, SO15 1GE, 02380 711811, www.mayflower.org.uk
Celebrate 25 years of the Test Valley Arts Foundation at Mottisfont with a weekend full of activities including arts and crafts workshops. Decorate small copper panels with artist Ruth Facey – to form part of a larger piece of sculpture, and take part in land art sessions using natural materials found in the grounds to create beautiful large-scale artworks, plus other artist-led activities.
• When: 8 and 9 October, 10am - 5pm
• Where: Mottisfont, near Romsey, SO51 0LP, 01794 340757, www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mottisfont
Capturing the spirit of the most popular festival in the Indian calendar, don’t miss Electric Woods’ Festival of Light. Venture through Robin Hill’s glorious autumnal ancient woodland and marvel at a stunning spectacle of creatively themed light, colour, sound, and entertainment inspired by the Hindu Festival of Diwali, where ‘light triumphs over darkness’. Savour authentic Indian food, enjoy music from a Bollywood DJ and take part in the Colour Run. You can even have a go at Bollywood dancing!
• When: October 1 – November 5, 6pm – 10pm
• Where: Robin Hill Country Park, Downend, Nr Arreton, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2NU, www.electricwoods.co.uk
Isle of Woman
Ever imagined starting from scratch and owning your own beautiful isle where you make the rules? Isle of Woman is just that place, and together you’ll decide which everyday items to ditch or take with you. With raucous appeal to women and men, the three women and their piano will take you on an insightful journey through topics we can all relate to.
• When: October 6, 7pm
• Where: Wedgewood Rooms, 147b Albert Road, Southsea, PO4 0JW, 02392 863911, wedgewood-rooms.co.uk
Set to tickle your taste buds, this is a must for foodies! Join well-loved chef Rick Stein to celebrate the release of his new book and BBC Two television series Rick Stein’s Long Weekends. Guaranteed to enthuse, this evening entertainment is cooked to perfection! Enjoy discussions of Rick’s travels around the world in search of good food in fabulous locations, savour his passion for food and discover his inspirations for delicious flavour combinations.
• When: October 15, 7.30pm
• Where: Theatre Royal Winchester, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8SB, 01962 840440, www.theatreroyalwinchester.co.uk