Buffalo and watercress saag - recipe
PUBLISHED: 11:22 04 May 2016 | UPDATED: 11:23 04 May 2016
Celebrate the new season’s produce with this buffalo and watercress saag recipe
Ingredients (serves 6)
• 1.25 kg buffalo brisket, on the bone
• 4 tbsp mustard oil or rapeseed oil
• 3 onions, quartered and sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2cm fresh root ginger, finely chopped
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp ground cardamom
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp ground turmeric
• 1 tsp mustard seeds
• 300g large leaf spinach
• 300g watercress
• 2 tbsp tomato puree
• 1 fresh bay leaf
• A small bunch of fresh coriander
• 2 fresh green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
1 Preheat the oven to 160°C (140 fan) / gas 3. Season the brisket all over with plenty of salt and pepper. Heat half of the oil in a frying pan over a high heat and sear the brisket until well browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
2 Reduce the heat to low and add the onions to the frying pan with another tablespoon of oil and a big pinch of salt. Fry for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer half of the onions to a bowl and set aside, then scrape the rest into a cast iron casserole dish. Set the pan over a medium heat and add the rest of the oil, the garlic and the ginger. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, then add the spices and cook for 1 more minute.
3 Add a splash of water to the pan and stir, then pack in the spinach and half of the watercress and cover with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring half way through, to wilt the greens.
4 Scrape the contents into a liquidiser and blend until smooth with 500ml of boiling water and 2 tbsp of tomato puree. Transfer the brisket to the casserole dish, pour over the watercress mixture and add the bay leaf.
5 Cover with the lid and transfer the dish to the oven to cook for 5 hours or until the buffalo is very tender, stirring the sauce every hour.
6 Chop the rest of the watercress with the coriander and stir it through the sauce with the reserved onions and the chillies (if using), then season to taste with salt. Serve with rice, roti or - my personal favourite - garlic naan.
Find it in Hampshire
• Buffalo brisket - Broughton Water Buffalo, Stockbridge, 01794 301031, broughtonwaterbuffalo.co.uk
• Watercress - Mapleleaf Watercress, Mapledurwell, 01256 464221
• Garlic - The Garlic Farm, Isle of Wight, 01983 868732, thegarlicfarm.co.uk
• Eating out in Hampshire - best restaurants - Whether you’re looking for fine dining, pub food, a romantic meal for 2 or a taste of something from further afield, eating out in Hampshire really has something for everyone. Here’s our guide to the best local restaurants and pubs