Cheese fondue with asparagus & new potatoes - recipe
PUBLISHED: 10:05 17 March 2015 | UPDATED: 10:11 17 March 2015
Try out this tasty recipe as featured in the March issue of Hampshire Life magazine
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 1 bunch asparagus • 250g new potatoes • 25g butter • 2 tbsp flour • 250ml Mr Whitehead’s Newton Discovery • 3 fresh sage leaves • 200g Lyburn’s Winchester • 200g Tunworth Cheese • 1 tsp English mustard • Salt & freshly ground black pepper
• Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender. Whilst they are cooking, melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and add the flour to form a roux. Cook for a minute over a low heat, being careful not to let it burn.
• Pour in the cider, whisking vigorously until you have a smooth sauce. Simmer for a couple of minutes and add the sage leaves and mustard, then reduce the heat to as low as possible.
• Cut the cheese into small cubes. Gradually add them to the hot cider sauce stirring well and making sure the cheese is fully melted before you add more.
• Once all the cheese is incorporated season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Cook the asparagus in boiling water for 4-5 minutes or steam until just tender. Drain and arrange on a platter with the cooked potatoes – get dipping.
• Eating out in Hampshire - best restaurants - Whether you’re looking for fine dining, pub food, a romantic meal for 2 or a taste of something from further afield, eating out in Hampshire really has something for everyone. Here’s our guide to the best local restaurants and pubs.
• Buttermilk fried chicken recipe - Have a finger-licking meal with this buttermilk fried chicken recipe for two.