Crab and samphire summer rolls - recipe
PUBLISHED: 15:22 24 July 2015
Enjoy a taste of the Orient with these crab and samphire summer rolls
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 75g vermicelli rice noodles
• 175g samphire, woody stems removed
• 8 rice paper wrappers
• 120g cooked chicken, shredded
• 175g mixed white and brown crab meat
• 4 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
• 3 tbsp garlic chives, chopped, plus 8 long lengths
• 2 tbsp salted peanuts, chopped
For the dipping sauce:
• 2 tbsp caster sugar
• 2 limes, juiced
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
• 1 red chilli, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
1 First make the dressing. Stir the sugar into the lime juice until it dissolves, then stir in the fish sauce, chilli and garlic. Taste the dressing and adjust the levels of sweet, sour and salty until harmonious, then set aside to infuse.
2 Put the noodles in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover by 5cm. Leave to soak for 4 minutes, then drain well and refresh in cold water. Drain again.
3 While the noodles are soaking, blanch the samphire for 45 seconds in a pan of boiling water, then plunge into iced water to stop the cooking. Drain well and blot dry with kitchen paper.
4 Dip the first rice paper wrapper in a bowl of cold water, then lay it out on a clean chopping board. Arrange a small pile of rice noodles and samphire in the centre and top with an eighth of the chicken and crab. Sprinkle with coriander, chives and chopped peanuts.
5 Fold up the bottom edge of the wrapper to cover the filling, then fold in the sides. Lay a long length of chive across the top so that it protrudes from one end, then carry on rolling up the summer roll.
6 Repeat with the rest of the ingredients to form eight rolls, then serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
Find it in Hampshire
• Marmalade glazed pork ribs recipe - Recipe by Streamline marmalade
• Buttermilk fried chicken recipe - Have a finger-licking meal with this buttermilk fried chicken recipe for two