Hampshire trout and asparagus - recipe
PUBLISHED: 16:32 02 June 2016 | UPDATED: 16:32 02 June 2016
Enjoy Hampshire trout and asparagus in this seasonal lunch dish
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 650g new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
• 650g asparagus, woody ends snapped off
• 1 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
• 1 large bunch spring onions, trimmed
• 2 hot-smoked trout portions, skinned and flaked
For the dressing:
• 1 lemon, juiced and zest finely grated
• 2 tsp runny honey
• 4 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
• 1 small bunch of chives, finely chopped
• 50g trout or salmon roe
1. First make the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, honey and oil with two big pinches of salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the chives and set aside.
2. Put the potatoes in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover and 2 tsps of salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 – 25 minutes or until tender but not disintegrating.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, pick out the three fattest asparagus spears and use a vegetable peeler to shave them into long ribbons. Put them in a bowl of iced water to crisp up while you prepare the rest of the salad.
4. Put a large griddle pan on to heat. Put the rest of the asparagus in a shallow bowl, drizzle over the oil and mix with your hands until well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Griddle the asparagus for 8 minutes or until tender and nicely charred in places, turning occasionally.
5. Meanwhile, mix the spring onions around in the oil bowl and add more seasoning if necessary. Transfer the asparagus to a chopping board and griddle the spring onions for 5 minutes or until softened and well-marked. Transfer to the chopping board and cut into short lengths with the asparagus.
6. When the potatoes are ready, drain them well through a colander, then tip them straight into the dressing bowl. Stir carefully to coat them in the dressing.
7. Toss the asparagus and spring onions with the trout in a separate bowl, then add the potatoes, retaining the dressing. Mix again and divide between four bowls. Stir the trout roe into the reserved dressing and spoon over the salads. Serve immediately.
Find it in Hampshire
• Smoked trout - New Forest Trout Farm and Smokery, Fordingbridge, 07815 313182