Top tips to make the most out of Winchester Cocktail Week
PUBLISHED: 09:42 02 February 2016 | UPDATED: 09:42 02 February 2016
From Saturday 30 January, Cabinet Rooms will be taking over the bar at the Theatre Royal Winchester to run the Cabinet Rooms Hub for one week only.
From Monday 1 February 2016, the Cabinet Rooms Hub will host a series of special workshops for both hospitality professionals and consumers. There will also be some interesting signature cocktails priced at just £4 each for wristband holders.
Sessions are free to wristband holders and spaces are limited so it is advised to book early to avoid missing out. Places can be booked either at the hub or online. Consumer sessions start at 6pm and finish at 7pm so are the perfect way to ease into an evening of cocktail excitement after work.
With 16 unique £4 cocktails to try in 13 different venues, as well as discounted entry to 11 great events across the city, there is a lot to do in just one week.
Top Tips to a Successful Cocktail Week
1. Get Your Wristband Early in the Week - Getting your wristband as soon as possible means that you can benefit from discounts and events that are happening at the start of the week. For example, Chococo will be hosting a Chocolate and Maraschino Cherry masterclass on Tuesday evening which is free to wristband holders.
2. Book Onto Events Straight Way - There’s a lot going on around the city but spaces are limited. Earlybirds have already started booking places at Cocktail Week events so don’t leave it too late and miss out on free or discounted entry to these unique masterclasses and workshops. Details of events and how to book can be found on the website.
3. Try New Things - With signature cocktails at £4 and special deals on food, having a wristband is a ticket to discovering a new favourite bar or restaurant. For example, if you are not sure you like whisky, try the deliciously spiced Goan Mac at Bengal Sage for just £4; if you’ve never ventured to the Green Man before, make a beeline to try their unusual Cucumber Sandwich Martini for just £4.
4. Plan Your Days - It’s great to do things spur of the moment but if you really want to max out the value of your wristband a little planning is in order. This way, it’s possible to hop from one bar or event to another and pack a lot into your nights out. Cabinet Rooms recommends:
• Monday - Get your friends together and get a head start on sampling the signature cocktails available for just £4.
• Tuesday - Learn how to make great party punches at the Hub before visiting Chococo to sample maraschino cherries and chocolate.
• Wednesday - Learn how to make martinis with the team at Hotel du Vin and then visit Bengal Sage for an introduction to Indian whisky.
• Thursday - Make cocktails with Hartnett, Holder & Co’s bar team (Lime Wood Hotel) at the Hub before either enjoying a Sushi and Sake dinner at Kyoto Kitchen or learning all about gin with Hendrick’s Brand Ambassador Ally Martin at the Green Man.
• Friday - Enjoy a champagne cocktail at Jeremy France Jewellers before joining a gin masterclass at Toscanaccio or a whisky masterclass at the Green Man.
• Saturday - Meet local distiller Paul Bowler to learn all about Twisted Nose Gin at the Cabinet Rooms Hub. Enjoy a special Sailor Jerry burger at Forte Kitchen before picking up something from Vintage Hound to wear at the Grand Finale Party on Saturday night.
5. Have no regrets - Wristbands are valid all week which means that it’s possible to take your time to enjoy the week safely and responsibly. There are even amazing discounted packages available from Holiday Inn and 2 Bare Feet for people planning to come into the city for Cocktail Week.