Some of the best things to do in Winchester this Christmas
PUBLISHED: 15:29 26 November 2018 | UPDATED: 15:29 26 November 2018
When it comes to celebrating the festive season, Winchester is alive with the sound of music. From Cathedral choirs to community singers and from family musicals to classical concerts, there's something for everyone
• Saturday 1 December: Advent Procession, 6.30pm
• Sunday 9 and 16 December: Family Carol Service, 3.30pm
• Tuesday 18 (ticketed), Wednesday 18 and Friday 21 December: Cathedral Carol Service, 6.30pm
• Until Thursday 20 December: Christmas market (click here for more info)
• Christmas Eve: Nativity Service, 11am and 3pm; Carols, 5.30pm; Midnight Eucharist, 11:30pm
• Christmas Day: Holy Communion, 8am; Festal Matins, 10am; Festal Eucharist, 11:15am; Evensong, 3.30pm
St. Cross Church
• Named after the Hampshire village where it first rehearsed almost 40 years ago, the now Winchester-based choir Ashton Singers perform German Baroque music and English 20th century choral music on Saturday 24 November.
St Peter’s Church, Jewry Street
• Friday 7 December, 7.30pm: Winchester Fusion Choir Christmas Charity Concert. With members singing for sheer enjoyment a fun-filled evening is in store, raising money for good causes. Tickets £7.50.
• Friday 14 December, 7pm: Winchester Music Club Charity Christmas Concert. One of Hampshire’s longest established choral groups present music and readings from Victorian England.
United Church, Jewry Street
• Tuesday 12 December, 8pm: Winchester Community Choir Christmas Concert. Making the short city hop from their usual home at St Lawrence in the Square, this Winchester choir sings for fun, so expect a joyous rendition of some seasonal favourites.
• Saturday 1 December to Sunday 6 January: Beauty and the Beast pantomime
• Sunday 9 December, 7.30pm: A Victorian Christmas
• Tuesday 11 December, 7.30pm: Christmas Classics with Blake
• Monday 17 December: Santa’s Christmas Party
• Friday 21 December: Jack Whitehall: Christmas with my Father
• 25 things to do in Hampshire this Christmas - There is so much to see and do in Hampshire over the festive season, from carol services to markets and of course amazing food and drink and our day-by-day guide brings you the pick of the best