Top tips on designing your home from a Hampshire-based interior design studio and workshop
PUBLISHED: 12:25 14 March 2019 | UPDATED: 12:25 14 March 2019
Are you planning a house redecoration, renovation or room redesign? We caught up with Otterbourne-based Neat House Interiors to find out some top tips from designers Wesley and Laura
Who are Neat House and what can they help with?
Neat House are an interior design studio and soft furnishing workroom on the outskirts of Winchester – where they have been based for more than 20 years. Whether you want to freshen up your bedroom furniture, find new kitchen wallpaper or require some bespoke furniture and upholstery work, their services should have you covered:
• Interior design consultancy: Expert interior design advice and home décor tips are on offer, with a large selection of wallpapers and fabrics on show. The workroom service focuses on soft furnishings whilst the design service is more in depth, and helps you create themes for entire rooms; from choosing the right fabric for your floor cushions to lighting, flooring and joinery. If you’re looking for kitchen décor or bathroom décor ideas (rooms with various units), Neat House have a pool of designers and contacts that they work with and can use to share advice.
• Bespoke furniture and upholstery: Restoration and upholstery of bedroom interior furniture, sofas, chairs and more.
• Trade services: Offering made to measure blinds and curtains to trade clients, as well as fabrics, poles and tracks.
• Curtains and cushions: Handmade curtains and cushions with feather or polyester fillers. Neat House will guide you through the whole process; ensuring fabrics that work with the room are selected.
• Blinds and shutters: Various types of blinds: handmade or machine made.
• Fabrics, paints and wallpapers: Whether you’re working on your bedroom wallpaper, interior decoration or paint, Neat House work with a number of brands which you can see here.
Why is interior design important?
It may seem obvious but interior design done properly is vital if you don’t know much about it in the first place. By going to an expert in the field you get a view from the outside. Experts like those at Neat House will look at things in a way the customer or homeowner may not think to. Whether you’re working towards a full house decoration or updating your living room furniture, you’ll be able to ensure that the whole design and flow of the house works.
Neat House, in particular, will show you different styles and get you out of your comfort zone in order to show you what will and won’t work in a specific room.
What different interior design styles are available?
Whilst interior design styles are essentially infinite, you can narrow it down to four general categories:
• Floral/older style furniture
• Contemporary design and modern furniture
• Casual style/design
How to avoid costly mistakes in interior design
It’s important to always seek advice from an interior stylist or expert when planning to redecorate. Customers might have their eye on a bright addition to their living room furniture or bold textured wallpaper for their bedroom. Companies like Neat House will look at the bigger picture here, taking into account the whole room and house first before committing to a single piece of furniture or wallpaper. This will help avoid a build up of cost trying to fit other pieces around that one ‘dream’ item.
What are the steps to planning an interior?
When seeking advice from a design studio such as Neat House, there are a few steps to go through:
• Consultation: Meeting with the interior design team to discuss what you’re looking for in your home.
• Room or home: Discussing whether you require a whole house decoration or remodelling of a specific room? Talking about colour schemes: Do you want to tie it in with current colours or update?
• Options: Visiting the designers again to look at the different interior ideas they have come up with.
• Quoting: Designers, such as Wesley and Laura at Neat House will organise a site visit for measuring, upholstery quotes and start quoting for the job.
• The job: With Neat House, the whole job will be project managed by them. There’s no need for you to going to different suppliers in your own time as they deal with it for you.