Cycling events in Hampshire - 2017
PUBLISHED: 12:17 13 March 2017 | UPDATED: 12:33 13 March 2017
Over 750 miles of off-road cycle routes and urban cycle paths make Hampshire a great place for cycling. Claire Pitcher saddles up to take a look at the races happening and the clubs to join across the county
The Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive - April 8-9
This race heralds the start-of-season for many cyclists and runs on a Saturday and Sunday. Take in the beautiful New Forest villages of Sway, Beaulieu and Lepe before heading north into the centre of the district. Somerley House and Gardens aren’t usually open to the public; however riders and supporters will have the chance to view some of the state rooms within the house and access to the gardens on event day.
Entry prices vary depending on the length you choose. ‘Epic’ (83 miles) is £32, ‘Standard’ (66 miles) £32 and ‘Short’ (29 miles) £24. Book at www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk.
Alton Bike Challenge - May 20
Starting at 10am at 3rd Alton Scout Hut, riders can enjoy a route around Petersfield, Alton and East Hampshire.
It’s open to all ages and abilities. The aim is to visit as many control points as possible and return to base within three hours. The further away the control, the more points your team is awarded for visiting it. Prizes will be awarded to the highest scoring teams in each rider category. All proceeds go to Rotherfield Scouts in aid of the Kandersteg 2017 Switzerland expedition.
Entry costs from £5 to £7. See rotherfieldistrict.co.uk/alton-bike-challenge.
New Forest Bike Ride - June 18
This starts at Brockenhurst Sixth Form College at 8am. Helping to raise vital funds for breast cancer charity CoppaFeel, there are four routes, all starting and finishing in Brockenhurst. The three longer routes cross a landscape of open vistas and autumnal woodlands while quiet roads and gentle hills make the shorter rides ideal for families.
For entry costs and more details call 0117 9897080.
Brewin Dolphin New Forest Summer Sportive - July 1
This is a New Forest coastal route via Calshot, Lepe, and Exbury. The beautiful village of Beaulieu is also on this route as well as Brockenhurst, Ashurst, Fritham, Bolderwood and the stunning Ornamental Drive.
Entry prices, ‘Epic’ (99 miles) £35, ‘Standard’ (71 miles) £35 and ‘Short’ (30 miles) £26. Visit www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk to book (same for the 3 events below).
Wiggle Mega Meon - July 23
If ever there was a perfect setting for a sunny sportive to unfold on a weekend morning, the Meon Valley would be up there with the best. This one has an uphill finish – lasting just under two miles.
‘Epic’ (100 miles) £32, ‘Standard’ (75 miles) £32 and ‘Short’ (45 miles) £24.
Wiggle New Forest 100 - September 16-17
Mollifying scenery, combined with a relatively low 4,461ft of climbing, this epic 100-mile route, for those who choose it, could be one of the easiest century rides you’ll do. Somerley House and Gardens will be open again too.
‘Epic’ (100 miles) £32, ‘Standard’ (66 miles) £32 and ‘Short’ (44 miles) £24.
Wiggle Devils Punch - November 4
This rakes in the best of the North Downs and the surrounding area. A little shorter than most other rides to reflect the time of year, it could be the perfect end-of-season test. The start is at Holybourne, near Alton, taking in Ropley, Selborne, Blackmoor and Bordon.
Entry prices: Epic’ (72 miles) £32, ‘Standard’ (50 miles) £32 ‘Short’ (30 miles) £24.
Join our clubs
• Andover BMX club - Based at Andover BMX Raceway, this club is open to all abilities and offers weekly BMX track sessions. Joining costs £16 for over 17s, £11 for under-17s and £26 for a family.
• Crabwood Cycling Club, Romsey - Primarily a racing club, at Crabwood you can take part in road racing, time trials and cyclo-cross.
• Winchester CTC - Cycling UK, formerly known as the CTC, is the national cycling charity. Winchester covers in and around the city (including Chandlers Ford and Bishops Waltham). There are also clubs in Fleet and Portsmouth.
• Cycle Club Basingstoke - CCB is a cycling club with a focus on road racing and have riders competing at all levels. Membership is £20 senior, £10 juniors, £10 associate.
• DHCyclesport, Southampton - DHC aims to be inclusive, plus they provide a variety of social and training rides, so you can always find something that’s right for you.
• Hatchwarren Beggarwood Cycling - Based in the Hatch Warren and Beggarwood area of Basingstoke, this club rides every week from St Marks Primary School Car Park, Danesbury Avenue, in Hatch Warren.
• The New Forest Cycling Club - Established in 1934, this club organises group rides from various starting points on Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year. Membership is £20 for seniors, £10 juniors and £25 family.
• 3C Cyclexperience, Hythe - A community cycling club, 3C has a strong road and mountain bike section, as well riders competing in time trials and track races. Membership costs £15 for seniors and £10 for under 18s. Call 07708743849.
• Sotonia Cycling Club - Members compete in road racing, time trial, cyclocross, track cycling, sportives and mountain biking and meet Tuesday evenings at Valley Park Community Centre, Chandlers Ford. Membership £20 for adults, £10 for over 60’s.
• North Hampshire Road Club - This club welcomes cyclists from Basingstoke and Tadley areas. It has a long-standing time-trial and road-race scene. To join costs £20 seniors, youth £5, family £36.