The complete guide to Winchester Cocktail Week 2017
PUBLISHED: 16:05 30 January 2017 | UPDATED: 16:05 30 January 2017
Winchester Cocktail Week is back to whet the whistle, with quizzes, masterclasses and some fabulous concoctions
What’s your favourite cocktail? Are you a Cosmopolitan, Margarita or more of an Old Fashioned kind of person? Whatever your taste, there is bound to be something to tickle your fancy during Winchester Cocktail Week. Sponsored by Rooster Marketing, Paris Smith LLP, Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands and Winchester BID, the festival is a week-long celebration of spirits and cocktails and gives wristband holders the opportunity to explore the city, perhaps discovering new favourite places and drinks along the way.
Gary Whiter, co-founder of Cabinet Rooms which organises the festival, explained, “We had fantastic feedback last year from people who’d ventured into bars and pubs that they’d never visited before. Some even made friends with fellow festival-goers! There are masterclasses and workshops throughout the week so if you’re interested in tasting spirits, testing your knowledge or learning how to make your own cocktails at home then you’ve a great week ahead of you.”
How does it work?
Tickets are on sale online at www.winchestercocktailweek.co.uk, the Cabinet Rooms Hub or the Winchester Tourist Information Centre. During Cocktail Week, you exchange your ticket at the Cabinet Rooms Hub for a souvenir guide and your wristband. This is your passport to seven days of discounted drinks and exclusive events in over two dozen venues across Winchester.
Cafés, bars and restaurants have teamed up with premium drinks brands to come up with over 20 different signature cocktails that are available all week for just £4 each to wristband holders only. There will be drinks based on gin, rum, tequila, whisky, vodka and even absinthe to choose from and at just £4 a cocktail you can afford to perhaps try something you might not otherwise have chosen. Details of all the signature cocktails will be released during Cocktail Week online and in the souvenir guide book.
Gin and Tonic
In addition to deliciously creative cocktails, Winchester will be awash with gin and tonic. Fans of the juniper spirit will be delighted to hear that Fever-Tree Mixers have teamed up with 11 venues and premium gins for the Fever-Tree Gin & Tonic Trail, allowing you to enjoy 11 different perfect serves for just £4 each when you show your wristband.
The New Romantic Ball
The climax of Cocktail Week will be the New Romantic Ball, co-hosted by Cabinet Rooms and Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands. The event promises to be the 1980’s party of the year, with early 80’s classics brought to you by Hampshire’s legendary DJ Hammy. Naturally, there’ll be a tempting retro cocktail menu on the night with discounts for wristband holders. Marcus Roe co-founder of Cabinet Rooms says, “We simply cannot wait to invite our guests to step back in time to the sound of the 1980’s and enjoy a night of flamboyance and fun with us.” Tickets are available from www.winchestercocktailweek.co.uk, the Cabinet Rooms Hub and Winchester Tourist Information Centre.
Plan Your Week!
Wristbands are valid all week so there is plenty of time to explore and Holiday Inn are even offering a special package for people wanting to extend their visit. Official venues are putting on special events and with many being exclusive, the organisers are recommending people to plan their week in advance and book with the venues directly. All events are either free or discounted for wristband holders so make sure you make the most of it!
Winchester Cocktail Week could not happen without the support of headline sponsors Rooster Creative Marketing, Paris Smith LLP and Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands, and official sponsors Winchester BID, Fever-Tree, Nectar, Isle of Wight Distillery and Artis.
Monday 6 February
• Licor 43 Cocktail Party at Koh Noi
Tuesday 7 February
• Big Cocktail Quiz and Games at the Discovery Centre
• Cocktail Masterclass at No.5 Bridge Street
• Sipsmith Gin Cocktail Masterclass at The William Walker
Wednesday 8 February
• Cocktails for Valentines Day at the Discovery Centre
• Fun Flair Workshop at the Discovery Centre
• Cocktail Masterclass with London’s Ali Burgess at Chococo
• Comedy and Cocktails at Guildhall Winchester
• Sushi and Sake at Kyoto Kitchen
• 1920’s Prohibition Party with the Spitfire Sisters at The Corner House
• La Fée Absinthe Masterclass at The Green Man
Thursday 9 February
• Southern Comforts at Chococo
• The Justice Regal Experience at Justice Jewellers
• Cocktail Masterclass at No.5 Bridge Street
• Bourbon & Bacon food pairing event at No.5 Bridge Street
• Angostura Rum Night at the Mucky Duck
• Dalmore Whisky Dinner at Hotel du Vin
Friday 10 February
• Food and Fizz at Forte Kitchen
• A Moveable Feast; a dinner at The Green Man inspired by Ernest Hemingway
• Get to Grips with Grappa at Toscanaccio
• Rum Masterclass with Havana Club at The William Walker
Saturday 11 February
• Pothecary Parlour at Jane McIntyre Design & Eccentricities
• The New Romantic Ball
• Winchester Cocktail Week’s 1980’s finale party at the Guildhall Winchester
Sunday 12 February
• All Hail Mary Brunch at No.5 Bridge Street
• Special deals at Hampshire Farmers’ Market on Winchester High Street